Lead > Become A Leader > Lead at the Club Level > Club secretary
Club secretary's duties
Secretary skills and general duties
- Maintain all of the records, files and details that are important for the smooth operation of the Key Club.
- Be prompt, neat, organized and efficient.
Keep the club materials organized and these items on file:
- Inventory of all Key Club property
- Club bylaws
- Key Club Guidebook
- District bylaws
- Minutes of all regular club meetings and board meetings
- Names and addresses of present Key Club officers
- Copies of current and past KEY CLUB magazines and district publications
- Collected committee reports from committee chairmen
- List of committee chairmen and members
- Club’s past achievement reports
- Club’s past monthly reports
- Prepare board of directors meeting agenda with president.
- Attend the board meeting and take the minutes.
- Collect the monthly committee reports.
- Submit monthly report to the district.
Maintain membership and officer rosters
- Maintain a roster of club officers. Be sure to send any updated contact information to the lieutenant governor or district administrator.
- After elections, notify the lieutenant governor or district administrator of your new club officers for the next year.
- Maintain a complete club member roster and produce a club membership roster, electronic or printed version.
- Collect and maintain the following information for each member:
– Member’s full name, home address, phone and e-mail
– Preferred communication method: e-mail, texting, phone
– Date of birth
– Date he/she joined Key Club
– Committee assignments and offices held in Key Club
– Service project interests
– Personal interests
– Committee interests
Take club and board meeting minutes
- Make sure that attendance is taken at every meeting.
- Record the following about each regular Key Club meeting:
– Number of members present
– Names of those absent
– List of guests attending
– Presiding officer
– Speaker and subject
– Dues collected from whom (if applicable)
– Committee reports, written and oral
– Any motions or decisions acted upon by the membership
Coordinate club correspondence
- Answer all correspondence promptly, and inform officers and advisors of the communication.
- Give prompt attention to communications from the district and Key Club International offices.
- Share correspondence with all club members.
- Send thank you and/or congratulatory notes on behalf of the club.
- Help choose the convention delegates, candidates and contestants and take care of all materials and monies (if applicable) relating to them.
- Work with the president in completing the Annual Achievement report and any other award applications for your Key Club.
- Assist the secretary-elect in becoming acquainted with his/her duties and receive all materials and knowledge base from the past club secretary.